The archaeological excavations carried out from 2006 until 2008 in Piazza XX Settembre in Comacchio allow us to comprehend relative phases of the medieval Episcopal complex. Investigated contexts can be dated from the 6th c. to the Modern Age. The archaeological data concerning the first Bishop’s church refer to the mid-eight century, proven by excavated cemetery area and porch. Original chapel was certainly placed under the modern Cathedral. Excavations brought to light several architectural elements and fragments of floor material, parts of the 8th and 9th century church, some reused in the later building. Different architectural elements of the first church (columns, capitals, marble slabs) were part of more ancient buildings, not necessarily of local origin. During the Carolingian period this early church was supplied with an altar screen. Between the end of the 10th and the beginning of the 12th century in front of the church new rectangular building was erected. By its shape, size and quality of used material, we can suggest that it corresponds to a part of the Romanesque Bishop’s palace. Its walls were built with numerous spolia - parts of the earlier church. This demonstrates that the church itself has been completely reconstructed. The research of the architectural fragments and the data concerning some groups of architectural elements allows us to comprehend the quality of the early medieval church furniture. It is also possible to examine activities of re-use on a Romanesque construction site.

< >

Issue Details

Hortus Artium Medievalium


Hortus Artium Medievalium

Journal of the International Research Center for Late Antiquity and Middle Ages

Publication Cover
Print ISSN: 1330-7274 Online ISSN: 1848-9702

Related Content Search

Find related content

By Author

Purchase Options

Individual Offers

Institutional Offers